Saturday, March 24, 2012

A visitor on a busy day

Today we were at St Marks in Avonhead again and it was probably just as well.   The turnout today was really high and everyone was in good spirits.   We had a visit from Wilson who is our new Area Delegate and he was impressed by our turnout too.   He's very interested in communication and also increasing membership; which we are also interested in so that should work out well.   I told him about some of our initiatives to increase our profile in the community including spinning in malls, teaching spinning at my local school and the fact that we're now on Twitter and Facebook.   His enthusiasm will be an asset I think.

Anne Field who is the Area Education person told us about a few things that are planned for the next year or so too.  There's going to be a tutor this year for embellishment, a weekend for looking at Alpaca fibre from animal to garment and at least one "give it a go" day where members of the public can come and try various fibre crafts.  I think it's going to be a good year and there are several people who've volunteered for the public day which is good to see.

We also had the opportunity to get fibre for this years challenge of "Fibres that glisten and gleam".  A wee bag with 50g of carded mohair and a small amount of raw mohair.   Those who take up the challenge are expected to document what they do with it.   I am still ruminating on what I'll do with it, but as I do have some more mohair here I can possibly do a bit more.   I'm considering dyeing it and maybe doing something with silk as well; I've got plenty of undyed silk to play with.

I took a few photos today of people working on things too; forgot the real camera so my apologies for the images not being high quality; cellphones aren't the best for fibre related photography.

Anne Field working on her Origami Pullover (or is it a very long lap blanket?)

Joanne's Merino/Silk being plied.


Wheel in extreme motion!  See the blur on the feet and bobbin?

Some lovely finished items.  3 pairs of socks and a gorgeous scarf.  The socks are in Naturally Waikiwi yarn and Opal; both make wonderful socks, and they're pretty too.
That's it for this week, see you all next Saturday.   Don't forget there's a Coffee and Knitting session at the Gardens Cafe from 12pm - 2pm on Monday

No comments:

Post a Comment