Saturday, May 5, 2012

Superquick post

Last weekend was festival and quite a few of our members went and it sounds like they had a wonderful time.   Unfortunately I don't have a lot of detail but I know there was a silk weaving course and a flax weaving course as well as the usual opportunities to buy fibre that called your name.   I'll see if I can get some photo's and more detail later.

Today we had our usual meeting, a wee bit about Riccarton Mall in a fortnight; 6 of us will be there from 10am till 2pm demonstrating which will be fun and I hope inspiring to the public who see us.   My thanks to Lesley at the mall for helping me organise it.

As well as the usual for our Saturday get together we also spent some time doing a drum carder demonstration.   Several of us took carders and I demonstrated using mine with some Gotland, Mohair, and glitz to produce a lovely batt (which I then left behind).   It went really well I think, everyone got something out of it and a few people had a go afterwards and of course questions about carding were answered as well.
I took the carder and what I consider to be the tools that I need to use with it.  The batt picker, the carder cleaning brush, a wallpaper brush for pushing the batt down and the sushi roller for taking the batt off in one piece.  The two main points that came out of it were to go slow, and to make sure you don't overload the carder; if you can't see the wood through the fibre then it's overloaded, also make sure it's teased open before loading too.   I will definitely do this again if people want another go; it's great fun!
I hope those who made batts will show us the finished spinning.   No photo's I'm afraid as I was disorganised and forgot my camera and the cellphone!

No comments:

Post a Comment